Here’s an ingenious way to make a strawberry ‘pie’ without the fattening crust: using almonds and dates instead.
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 c dates, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 t vanilla
- Cover almonds with water and let soak at room temperature for 4 to
- 12 hours. Drain well. Grind in food processor until finely chopped.
- Add dates and vanilla. Blend well. Press evenly into a pie plate to
- form the shell.
- 8 large strawberries
- 5 dates, pitted and sliced
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 T lemon juice
- 2 pints strawberries, quartered
- 1/2 pint strawberries, halved
Blend first 4 ingredients in food processor until well mixed. Pour into
mixing bowl and add the 2 pints of strawberries. Stir together and
pour into pie shell. Decorate top of pie with remaining strawberries.
Chill at least 1 hour before serving. I keep this in the freezer and thaw
slightly before serving. For a different pie, substitute blueberries or
peaches in place of the strawberries.
Sauté in 1/4 c of the broth: onion, celery, carrots, and garlic until
onion is tender.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 20
Start with 6 cups of broth, and add more if needed.